In 1884 the first South Cave Show was held on the village cricket pitch in two marquees close to Cave Castle. Visitors to the event were allowed to stroll around the beautiful gardens listening to the band of the 1st Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. After enjoying the display of fuchsias, geraniums, balsam and petunias as well as hot house plants, fruit and vegetables. Outside fruit, produce, wild flowers, grasses, leaves and berries were exhibited at the show.
The first show took place on a Thursday 14th August. It was a delightful day weatherise and the exhibits were very satisfactory even if the number of Exhibitors was not very large!
On 5th August 1912 the Hull Daily Mail reported that it ‘Unsettled and windy holidays, more like Boxing Day. Haymakers snowballed each other. Frost, rain high winds and desolate conditions!’
After some breaks in the holding of the show due to wars in 1944 The Royal British Legion revived South Cave Show. It was held in Gibson’s workshop in Church Street by Turks Trod path. The back doors opened on King Georges Field, where the children’s sports were held. This continued until the workshop was demolished in 1982.
The Show then remained at the former Church Institute or Playgroup Hall between 38 and 40 Church Street until 1990 when it moved to its present situation at the Sports Hall. In 1998 Handicrafts were allowed a place in the schedule.
The Royal British Legion ran the show until 2008 when members of the present committee took over to take it forwards into the new millenium.